Chicken and rice is a classic dish combination, very common in Latin American countries. The beauty of this dish is that it is easy to make, nutritious and you can feed a whole family very cheaply.
In Colombia, the “Arroz con Pollo” is a staple in home cooking which is normally eaten on the weekends when all the family gathers together. It is usually served with shredded chicken and a mix of vegetables.
Prep Time | 20 minutes
Cooking Time | 30 minutes
Difficulty | Easy
2 chicken breasts
1 cup long grain white rice
2 cups chicken stock
½ tsp cumin
2 tbsp tomato puree
½ tsp saffron
½ pepper diced
½ carrot diced
½ onion diced
¼ cup frozen peas (defrosted)
¼ cup frozen corn (defrosted)
2 garlic cloves
- In a medium saucepan bring 2 cups of water to boil and cook the chicken at a medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Let the chicken cool down and save the chicken stock.
- Add ½ tsp of oil to a large sauce pan on a medium heat, cook the onions until soft, then the garlic, cumin and the rest of the vegetables. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Dissolve the tomato puree and the saffron in two cups of the chicken stock.
- Pour the stock into the pan with the vegetable mix, followed by the cup of rice, and stir a couple of times making sure that the ingredients are mixed together.
- Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Once it is boiling, cover with the lid and simmer at a low heat for 20 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, shred the chicken.
- Once the rice is cooked, mix with the chicken and serve.
This dish can be eaten on it’s own or served with a couple of avocado slices on the side and a fresh salad.