Courgette as well as its flower are very popular in Mexico. Unlike the courgette in the UK, the most common type of courgette found in the country is short and pale green. Both of them can be used to make a perfect gratin.
This dish is a great vegetarian side dish for any meal.
50g grated cheddar cheese
2 tbsp sweet corn (canned or frozen)
1 tbsp white onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
60ml Crème fraîche
1 tsp butter
½ chicken stock cube
- In a sauce pan on a medium heat melt the butter along with a teaspoon of olive oil./li>
- Add the garlic and onions and cook saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the courgette and cook for 6 to 7 minutes or until it starts to soften. Then add the sweet corn.
- In a cup, mix the cream with the chicken stock cube and pour into the sauce pan. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the courgette in an oven proof ceramic dish. Top with the cheese and grill for 3 to 4 minutes.
Courgette gratin is an excellent side dish for chicken. You can however eat it on its own or with any other meat dish.