These Plantain chips are a great snack alternative, perfect when you want to have something different to good old chips/crisps.
As you might know now from our plantain post, plantains are not like bananas, they are more starchy therefore keep their shape when you cook them. There are different ways to cook these chips, they can be baked, pan fried and deep fried. On this occasion we opted to deep fry them, because who doesn’t like fried food, right!
To keep things a bit healthy, we are using yoghurt instead of cream, to make a garlic dip that works a treat for these chips.
Prep Time | 15 minutes
Cooking Time | 20 minutes
Difficulty | Easy
2 green plantains
Plain flour for coating
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for frying
¼ cup Natural Greek yogurt
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp paprika powder
- Peel the plantains, and slice them into ½ cm slices.
- Coat the slices of plantain with seasoned flour.
- In a small sauce pan fill halfway with vegetable oil and heat to 180°C.
- Deep fry the plantain slices in batches for about 4 minutes until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine all the dip ingredients.
Serve the plantain chips with the garlic yogurt dip on the side