Originally from Ecuador the Llapingachos are made with boiled and mashed potatoes stuffed with cheese. They can be served as an appetizer or a side dish served with fried egg, sausage or chorizo and avocado.
2 tbsp achiote powder (Paprika can be used as an alternative)
125g mozzarella cheese
2tbsp vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
- Peel the potatoes and boil them until tender
- Once the potatoes are cooked, put into a mixing bowl and mash until you get a smooth but firm consistency (if you prefer you can leave them chunky), let them cool.
- Add the achiote powder (or paprika), salt and pepper.
- Make small balls of mashed potatoes with your hands. Make a hole in the top, add the cheese and roll again forming a ball. Press the ball down into a circle until it is approximately 2 cm thick.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Once the pan is smoking hot, put the patties and cook on both sides until golden brown.
Serve with peanut butter sauce or salsa criolla. Alternatively have them with a fried egg, sausage and avocado and make a whole meal out of it.